RMG Associates is a national recruiting firm specializing in private family wealth management. Our client is seeking a Managing Director of Investments (MDI) for their ultra-high-net-worth (UHNW) office in San Diego, CA. This division, within a prominent financial institution, exclusively services UHNW clients with net worth in excess of $50MM, with average client relationship over $100MM. Our client will consider relocation benefits for exceptional candidates for this opportunity.
The MDI will be part of a dynamic team and participate in the building of a state-of-the-industry platform that implements, monitors, and maintains investment portfolios for a select group of UHNW family clients. The ability to work effectively within a team of investment professionals to develop and deliver solutions for UHNW clients is a must. This group has had phenomenal success in growing their client base and this position is open due to growth. The leadership, strategy, vision, and commitment from the institution makes this a rare career opportunity for a talented and qualified candidate to make an impact, and contribute to the continuing development of this division to national prominence and market leadership.
The MDI must have experience with ultra-affluent clients or with institutions (preferably foundations or endowments) in an investment management or investment advisory capacity. He or she should have a CFA or similar credentials. This role is highly consultative in an open-architecture investment environment and knowledge in alternatives is greatly preferred. Additional responsibilities will include establishing family investment policies and philosophies. Therefore, it is crucial that the MDI has a background as a consultative investment advisor with an understanding of UHNW or institutional client relationships.
The resources and capability of this group is exceptional and highly sophisticated; and they are building an impeccable national reputation for innovation and industry thought leadership. The investment management group is part of a comprehensive, holistic, and customized UHNW model/platform, which includes: multigenerational planning, psychologists and educators, trust and tax expertise, governance, philanthropy, financial management, and technology and reporting. The MDI will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of advisors and must be able to work and thrive within a collaborative, collegial environment among highly educated peers who are top professionals in their fields. Experience and Requirements:
- Senior/Managing Director candidates with 10+ years of experience in a consultative investment role delivering advice to ultra-affluent clients, business leaders and/or large institutional investors.
- Bachelor’s degree required as well as an advanced degree or certification related to investment advisory (MBA, CFA, CAIA, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative client-focused environment and to serve clients with confidence and unpretentiousness.
- Experience in managing relationships in a team environment with sophisticated and demanding individuals and/or fiduciaries with complex needs
- Demonstrated experience in developing and contributing to business development
- Experience in endowments and/or foundations highly desirable