Job Title: Investment Analyst
Department: Investment Strategies
Reports to: Chief Investment Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under the administrative and technical direction of the Chief Investment Officer the Investment Analyst reviews, analyzes, and assists in monitoring the administrations and management of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians (SMBMI) Investment portfolio. The work involves activities such as evaluating and monitoring external investment managers, evaluating Request for Proposal responses, conducting due diligence on existing and prospective investment managers, assisting in preparation of reports to the Investment Board.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Monitors external investment managers for adherence to investment strategy and guidelines.
· Reviews capital markets and economic trends as they relate to the management of the investment portfolios and makes recommendations to enhance the investment program.
· Assists in conducting due diligence on prospective external investment managers.
· Assists in the use and development of robust quantitative analytical tools using Morningstar or Bloomberg systems. Develops and improves reporting capability of investment funds and portfolio.
· Assists in establishing investment guidelines, policies and procedures, development of performance measurement criteria and standards for external investment managers.
· Prepares quarterly investment performance and manager booklet and conducts risk assessment of external managers.
· Prepares various presentations for Investment Committee meetings, as well as other communications pieces, as necessary.
· Assists in conducting asset allocation reviews and makes recommendations for portfolio rebalancing.
· Performs research regarding industry standards, best practices and makes recommendations for operational improvements.
· The Investment Analyst will also perform other related duties and special projects involving spreadsheets or other web based research as assigned.
· Special projects as needed in conjunction with company priorities.
· Adaptability/Flexibility- Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, willingly takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet departmental/business enterprise needs.
· Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing. Creates accurate and punctual reports, demonstrates good listening skills. Demonstrates behavior that is welcoming, friendly, open and approachable.
· Decision Making/Judgment – Recognizes problems and responds appropriately. Systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues and seeks input from others. Addresses root cause of issues and makes timely decisions. Ability to make difficult decisions. Communicates decisions to all appropriate personnel/departments/business enterprises.
· Dependability – Meets commitments, deadlines, and works independently, completes all assignments or job tasks without management follow up, and accepts accountability for results.
· Initiative- Independently identified problems and takes independent action to successfully resolve issues. Willingly seeks out new or additional responsibilities. Acts on opportunities to improve overall operations. Generates new ideas.
· Job Knowledge- Demonstrates the necessary management, administrative, professional and/or technical skills to meet or exceed position expectations. Uses common sense approach to completing tasks and meeting deadlines. Keeps job knowledge current, is in command of all critical issues that develop day-to-day on the job. Seeks to increase job knowledge and value to organization.
· Personal Organization-Keeps information organized and accessible. Maintains a clean and functional work space. Works systematically and efficiently while managing time well and ensuring all critical commitments are addressed.
· Critical Thinking (problem solving) – Breaks down problems into smaller components, understanding underlying issues. Ability to simplify and process complex issues, and understand the difference between critical details and unimportant facts. Focuses attention on the primary source or cause of a problem. Demonstrates the ability to identify and successfully resolve issues before they become significant problems.
· Results Focus - Targets and achieves results by setting challenging goals, prioritizing tasks and overcoming obstacles. Accepts accountability for results achieved and sets team standards and responsibilities. Provides direction, leadership and motivation.
· Quality Service - Ability to handles internal/external customer questions, concerns and complaints effectively and communicates positively. Consistently maintain a pleasant, approachable, professional image.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferably in Finance or Accounting required.
· Three years assisting in the administration of an institutional investment portfolio.
· Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of educational requirement.
· Familiarity with Tribal governments highly desirable.
· Strong computer skills, including Microsoft’s Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) and the ability to learn and efficiently use web-based research systems (such as Bloomberg, Morningstar) are required.
· Ability to work in a time-sensitive environment, be proactive, and able to handle confidential material a must.
· Strong attention to detail required.
· Strong research and problem solving skills essential.
· Strong critical thinking skills, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, and a desire to take on greater responsibilities and leadership are all required to be a successful member of the Investment Strategies team.
· Must have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines for short, long and ad-hoc assignments.
· Must have a commitment to exceptional quality, have the highest ethical standards, and have the vision to enhance and further develop SMBMI’s portfolio.
· CFA Charter holder or CFA Candidate highly desirable.
· Must undergo and successfully pass a thorough pre-employment background investigation including criminal, credit, education, verification of work history and professional references.
Physical Requirements/ Working Conditions – EnvironmentThe physical demands and working environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· Primary work environment is in a climate-controlled office setting.
· Must be able to work in a fast paced, high demand environment.
· Must be able to work on a computer for extensive amounts of time on a daily basis.
· Hearing sufficient to hear conversational levels in person and over the telephone.
· Speech sufficient to make oneself heard and understood in person, in front of groups, in meetings, and over the telephone.
· Visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned, or to make general observations of facilities, guests and employees.
· Strength sufficient to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds below or at waist level and occasionally lift; move or carry objects over 40 pounds below and at waist level with assistance.
· Mobility sufficient to safely move in an office environment; walk, stoop, bend, kneel, enter and exit.
· Endurance sufficient to maintain efficiency throughout the entire work shift and during extended work hours.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Indian Bingo and Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Apply directly to:
Senior Business Partner, Talent Acquisition
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
27995 Highland Avenue, #100
Highland, CA 92346