Under the administrative and technical direction of the Director of Investments, the Investment Associate performs analytical tasks on behalf of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians investment portfolios and assists in analyzing investment manager portfolios.
The work involves assisting in the administration and analysis of investment portfolios managed by external investment managers. The work also includes activities such as developing and maintaining the investment risk management monitoring program, analyzing investment manager strategy and portfolio results, assisting in the ongoing monitoring of managers, and performing asset allocation studies. The Investment Associate is the primary party responsible for data collection, management and analysis for the total portfolio, underlying investment managers, and general market research.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Helps conduct asset allocation studies. Collects data and information from Bloomberg and investment managers to develop expected return and risk forecasts for the portfolio and managers.
- Assists in monitoring capital markets and maintaining knowledge of current market trends and practices.
- Aggregates information from managers on outlook for asset classes and investment themes.
- Analyzes risk factor exposures for portfolio and managers.
- Assists in monitoring external asset managers for investment performance and research.
- Statistically compare investment managers against one another on various metrics.
- Assist in the research and analytics for quarterly Investment Strategies Update newsletter.
- Develop templates in excel that can improve and enhance Investment Staff’s understanding of investment managers exposures and attribution.
- Run regressions and return analysis on managers in excel.
- Participates in quarterly calls with current and prospective investment managers.
- Prepare manager analysis for monthly Board meetings.
- Security-level analysis to assist Staff when interacting with investment managers.
- Potential to write post-meeting analysis on managers for team distribution.
PORTFOLIO RISK MONITORING
- Assists in analyzing and implementing investment analytic systems and makes recommendations for workflow and reporting improvements.
- Manage our portfolio oversight and risk management system called Caissa.
- Create customized templates and output for internal and committee reports.
- Work with investment managers to ensure high quality data is reported to our risk systems.
- Assists in monitoring external asset managers for contract compliance, investment performance, and conformance with fiduciary standards.
- Monitors managers’ balances and disbursements, performance fee calculations and reconciliations with the Master Custodian.
- Processes various investment and legal documents, monitors the process through to completion, and distributes the completed documents to the appropriate parties (this includes subscription and related docs, wire direction letters, additional subscription/redemption forms, etc.).
- Performs monthly investment manager performance and asset reconciliations.
- Acts as liaison between custodian banks, investment management firms and the brokerage community.
- Prepares the quarterly performance report and supporting schedules.
- Performs specialized research in various areas of corporate governance, manager and regulatory compliance, and prepares detailed reports and analysis.
- Reviews and summarizes relevant investment manager agreements and related documents for compliance and reporting requirements.
- Develops and enhances internal compliance monitoring policies and procedures.
- Monitor our CRM system to ensure high quality information and research is up-to-date.
- Prepares and maintains spreadsheets/databases (manager register, compliance spreadsheets, etc.).
- Ad hoc research and analytical projects as determined by the CIO and Director of Investments.
- General statistical and analytical work to make the team progressively best in class in portfolio management.
- High school diploma required.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, economics or accounting preferred. Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- Enrollment in or completion of the CFA or CAIA programs or the completion of the Fundamentals of Alternative Investments Certificate Program.
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Excel required, with Word and PowerPoint preferred.
- Ability to work in a time-sensitive environment, be proactive, and able to handle confidential material a must.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Strong research and problem solving skills essential.
- Proficient in handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Effective written and oral communications beneficial.
- Enrollment in the CFA or CAIA programs desirable.
- Must undergo and successfully pass a thorough pre-employment background investigation including criminal, credit, education, verification of work history and professional references.
Physical Requirements/ Working Conditions – Environment
The physical demands and working environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Primary work environment is in a climate-controlled office setting.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced, high demand environment.
- Must be able to work on a computer for extensive amounts of time on a daily basis.
- Hearing sufficient to hear conversational levels in person and over the telephone.
- Speech sufficient to make oneself heard and understood in person, in front of groups, in meetings, and over the telephone.
- Visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned, or to make general observations of facilities, guests and employees.
- Strength sufficient to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds below or at waist level and occasionally lift; move or carry objects over 40 pounds below and at waist level with assistance.
- Mobility sufficient to safely move in an office environment; walk, stoop, bend, kneel, enter and exit.
- Endurance sufficient to maintain efficiency throughout the entire work shift and during extended work hours.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
All applications must be completed through the San Manuel website at the link below. INVESTMENT ASSOCIATEhttps://jobs.jobvite.com/