Investment Associate, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians - Irvine, CA
Under the administrative and technical direction of the Director of Investments, the Investment Associate performs analytical tasks on behalf of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians investment portfolios and assists in analyzing investment manager portfolios.
The work involves assisting in the administration and analysis of investment portfolios managed by external investment managers. The work also includes activities such as developing and maintaining the investment risk management monitoring program, analyzing investment manager strategy and portfolio results, assisting in the ongoing monitoring of managers, and performing asset allocation studies. The Investment Associate is the primary party responsible for data collection, management and analysis for the total portfolio, underlying investment managers, and general market research.
Essential Duties & ResponsibilitiesASSET ALLOCATION
- Helps conduct asset allocation studies. Collects data and information from Bloomberg and investment managers to develop expected return and risk forecasts for the portfolio and managers.
- Assists in monitoring capital markets and maintaining knowledge of current market trends and practices.
- Aggregates information from managers on outlook for asset classes and investment themes.
- Analyzes risk factor exposures for portfolio and managers.
- Assists in monitoring external asset managers for investment performance and research.
- Statistically compare investment managers against one another on various metrics.
- Assist in the research and analytics for quarterly Investment Strategies Update newsletter.
- Develop templates in excel that can improve and enhance Investment Staff’s understanding of investment managers exposures and attribution.
- Run regressions and return analysis on managers in excel.
- Participates in quarterly calls with current and prospective investment managers.
- Prepare manager analysis for monthly Board meetings.
- Security-level analysis to assist Staff when interacting with investment managers.
- Potential to write post-meeting analysis on managers for team distribution.
PORTFOLIO RISK MONITORING
- Assists in analyzing and implementing investment analytic systems and makes recommendations for workflow and reporting improvements.
- Manage our portfolio oversight and risk management system called Caissa.
- Create customized templates and output for internal and committee reports.
- Work with investment managers to ensure high quality data is reported to our risk systems.
- Ad hoc research and analytical projects as determined by the CIO and Director of Investments.
- General statistical and analytical work to make the team progressively best in class in portfolio management.
- High school diploma or GED required and enrollment in the CFA or CAIA programs or the completion of the Fundamentals of Alternative Investments Certificate Program; Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, economics or accounting preferred. Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Excel required, with Word and PowerPoint preferred.
- Ability to work in a time-sensitive environment, be proactive, and able to handle confidential material a must.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Strong research and problem solving skills essential.
- Proficient in handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Effective written and oral communications beneficial.
- Enrollment in the CFA or CAIA programs desirable.
- Must undergo and successfully pass a thorough pre-employment background investigation including criminal, credit, education, verification of work history and professional references.